Raspberry Pi

Paul Maddox yo at vacoloco.net
Tue May 22 22:38:06 CEST 2012

Marc,

I'm kind of curious to know what you do with the beaglebone Paul.. could
> you elaborate ? The distinction with the board one isn't 100% clear in my
> mind:

for me, basically an embedded linux box to screw around with.
Needed ethernet and some GPIO, the beaglebone does that, and it's been
around a while so it's got a good lot of support.

I don't know in which context you refer to media server but if it is to
> playback movies stored on external harddrive, I highly recommend the boxee
> box. It's simple and not really expensive and works OOTB.

No seriously, don't get me started on that.
I've got one, what a peice of shite....

I scanned my movies, some 4000 odd, it found covers for about 2500, about
100 of which are wrong.
It doesn't "cope" with TV series at all well.
The music player is TERRIBLE, what if I want to play by genre? or create a
play list?

And reliability, it crashes, like four times a week, just locks up stops
and only out is to power off (5 seconds on power button).

Maybe I'm unlucky, but it's not been a good experience for me.

Paul