New Order, Vienna

Kim Johnsson johnssonkim at gmail.com
Sun May 20 13:27:43 CEST 2012

Jay wrote:

> Thanks Gert, and yes .. it really is good for me.  I'll never forget the experience of getting Blue Monday from a DJ friend, 13 years old, getting home and putting it onto my Grandma's donated record player, in my own bedroom, and cranking it loud.  Nobody else in the world was into that music in my country scene, so I was glad to have a city life too that gave me access to DJ's.  Blue Monday got me through a lot of wild times.  And now, finally, to have seen its creators live and to be surrounded by thousands of happy fans, was really special.  Was poignant to think, 32 years ago yesterday, the band was formed.

I have two similar concert experiences, one was the first time I saw
Kraftwerk on the tour which became their recent-ish Minimum-Maximum
-release. I got serious goosebumps from the first clicks of Die Mensch
Machine (DMM was the first Kraftwerk album I heard and owned), and the
whole concert was just an incredibly cool experience. The Ultravox
experience was a bit different; since they had a break of 27 years or
so, I obviously never thought I would see them live, so when I finally
did, it was special in so many ways. I remember smiling through the
whole concert.

These two bands defined my taste in music; first Kraftwerk and then
Ultravox. In both cases I had to wait more than 25 years to see them
live. A bit weird when you think about it...

New Order doesn't do It for me. I just don't get them. With the
exception of Blue Monday, which is one of my most favorite tracks
ever. Totally blew me away when it came out, and it continues to do
so.

Cheers,

Kim