192khz .. playback fidelity lower than 44.1khz?

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Tue Mar 6 23:13:30 CET 2012

> I thought many of todays music mixing software used 32-bit float internally because of the rounding errors being inaudiable?

I went digging, and came across this excellent paper which explains the situation very well:

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Lib/floatingdither.pdf

And then there is Bob Katz' "The Secrets of Dither"

http://www.digido.com/dither.html

Highly interesting reading, and I recall a great deal of fuss being made about this in the late 90's in various trade mags, as the market was gearing up for the newer/higher-value'd sample rates, but I guess the conclusion is as always: follow your ears, not the math.

;)

;
--
Jay Vaughan