Selling gear

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 19:58:21 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Andrew Tarpinian
<andrewtarpinian at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's because you have no heart...
>
> The machines will get you first...

Well, to be clear there are some pieces I am attached to, and that
emotional attachment keeps them around.  The Korg Prophecy, which I
have had since around 1995 when they were first available, is still in
my studio.  My PolyEvolver Keyboard is also not going anywhere (I
think about selling it, but don't think I ever will).   My Korg EMX1
is another like this...and I am actually on my second one since the
first died so tragically.

For most gear, I use it for as long as I feel it is useful to me.  If
I start going in circles with it, or feeling like working with it is
more bother than its worth then it goes.  Why keep the clutter around?

Recently, I turned over a lot of gear that had specifically been
needed for my band, but since I left was totally useless to me.  I
don't like clutter, and while I absolutely loved the Korg M3, it took
up a lot of space  and wasn't used outside of the live set.  It wen't
on to a new home, and I got a rack Fantom and some euro modules for
it.

My modular is becoming the same kind of thing. It's an evolutionary
process. I went with a pretty vanilla setup when I first got into the
modular, and over time I've learned more and more how I use one.  As I
do that, it becomes apparent that certain modules just aren't that
useful to me.  Fortunately the second hand market for Eurorack is very
good.  I rarely have to work to sell anything, and I can almost always
find what I want there if I am patient.  I am in the process of
flipping out some modules even at the moment.

One thing is certain, the machines will get me. If they haven't already.

Tony