Auria for iPad

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Wed Jul 18 21:17:51 CEST 2012

> Could youi tell us how you are using the iPad for music/jamming?

Sure - its easy to explain.

Sometimes, usually when I just don't have a heavy realsynth around, I plug in the iPad + USB Hub + Akai LPK25 + Korg micro-kontrol (sometimes also +LPD8, but not lately for some reason..).  I open a synth on either iPad1 or iPad2 (or iPhone, if necessary) from a list that looks like: sunrizer,aardvark,argon, nlog pro, nois.io pro, minisynth pro, sunrizer, Synth, ims20, ielectribe, animoog, filtatron, &etc. and then I simply play.

Most synth apps have the ability to listen to MIDI control by now, so I've configured the mikrontrol to give me a relatively easy way to 'remember' most parameters across-synth, but I do use the touchscreen interface in combination with the lpk25 pretty comfortably these days.  Its quite handy, in fact.

In other cases, I use the lpd8 and various drumsynth/groovebox apps, but lately Stan and Ben have together mostly been handling the rocking boxes in fabulous ways, so I stay on the keys+synth layer in our jams.. although two jam sessions back, we had only two iPad1's and my iPad2, and we got the Korg grooveboxes all sync'ed up while the Moog synths went wild, and .. it was awesome, and one of my favourite recent sessions.

For audio/monitoring, I have the belkin splitter for cases where I want a couple of ipads together, and it does the job, but is decidedly low-fi.  I would like to investigate the use of a couple of usb-audio interfaces on an ipad running Auria some time soon, as the master Audio buss for a suite of other iDevices, so I'll try to get a couple of cheap but decent USB-audio 'adapters' that would be compatible with iOS up and running for Auria multi-channel inputs .. plug other iDevices audios to the bank of ins, set up a monitor headphone through the splitter, run Auria (it is astounding!) for a full iDevice-DAW scenario.  Seems like it will be totally do-able.

But I must confess, my trusty indigo2 has been the most-played box of noise at jams lately, only due entirely to *flick* turn-on *PLAY* as a half-second sort of penance.  I find booting/loading/plugging-in/configuring still *quite* a drag on iPad session-setup-sequence-mode, although its getting better because we're using it simpler (i.e. I play synth nonsense anyway.)

> Perhaps a picture?

I will take a pic the next time I specifically use my iPad rig, which will be the next jam .. at home, I have devoted my recent home-office duties to the complete resurrection of my full 19" rack, and it is a lot of work.  But wow, worth it.  The boys love those rack-synths.

;
--
Jay Vaughan