Virus TI2 or Arturia Origin?

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Thu Jul 12 21:06:13 CEST 2012

> There is one dimension you can't really get into with a modular synth
> at anything approaching a reasonable cost:  Polyphony.

True, but then again how much polyphony do you truly need in this DAW era?

On the other hand, a bank of 8 VCO's and a bank of 8 VCF's, doesn't seem terribly unreasonable, cost-wise.  I wonder what the absolutely cheapest 8-voice modular, with bare-minimum features per voice, would actually cost .. certainly in the $2000'ish range, shall we say?

> My major issue with the virus is it's cost.  It seems to have gotten
> more and more expensive over the years particularly in comparison to
> it's competition. The Blofeld, UltraNova or even the Alesis Micron are
> better competition than their price would indicate.  I think the Korg
> Radias really compares well with a much more aggressive sound.

The price of the Virus is atrocious, but I am literally very, very biased, having spent 5 years of my life on the fruits of that profit.  I do think that there is a lack of innovation happening, because for sure a less-expensive Virus would be quite plausible, and with the brand being what it is these days, pretty sure for success, too.  But, success .. it can be described, in many languages, and not every story is successful whatever the manner of its telling .. maybe the Virus TI sells so well to people who just feel better about spending that amount than they would any other?

;
--
Jay Vaughan