Virus TI2 or Arturia Origin?

Andrew Tarpinian andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 06:49:14 CEST 2012

The Origin is one of my favorite synths. For me it can feels/sound the most analog of all the digital synths I have heard or used. Also it can have a very polished or track ready sound, in the way that the virus does or even some classic analog synths for example(roland.) (Actually some people from the bar said that some of the samples I posted from the origin had a bit of a "virus" type of sound.) I found the programming very straight forward, fun and creative, with very minimal frustrations (even though the screen is fairly small.) The sequencer is a big plus. It's probably the closest thing to a real modular in the fun dept - you can make some really wild sounds. Plus they have been good about keeping it updated - they just put the SEM filter in there I think. Also I got mine new for the freak out price of around $1300 :) I would suggest looking at some videos of people programming on it (I think there are some around,) that will give you an idea if it's for you or not. Imo it's the best digital hardware synth around, or one worth getting as you can't really duplicate what it does with software.

The virus will give you more power, multi's, effects, total intergration, etc... but will be more bread and butter - The virus is such a standard to me it's hard to not recommend it, but maybe in todays world something like Massive makes it irrelevant - though no hardware controls obviously. Jay would prob tell you to get one of the pre-TI models as he thinks the sound went a bit south with the TI (I have a KB btw.) Might be a good option if you don't need the Tintergration.

I could live without my virus, but I would want to keep the origin around, nothing really duplicates it, even arturia's software, it's a different animal - and it's no surprise everyone is flipping over the minibrute.

Some demo stuff I posted to the bar way back when I got mine:

http://www.polaritydesign.com/music/Origin_battle.mp3 - all origin (except drums) multi patch - 3 sounds, split keyboard played live (origin sequencer running a part).

http://www.polaritydesign.com/music/Origin_Moogwave.mp3 - origin, one patch played live (origin sequencer also running) (filter tweaked on second midi record pass).

http://www.polaritydesign.com/music/Transmission158.mp3 - everything origin except drums and melody/lead sound that starts at 2:20 - recorded into live and arranged, most effects from origin, origin sequencer used for most patterns.

http://www.polaritydesign.com/music/Transmission159.mp3 - all origin live digital modular wiggling :) joystick used a lot.