Core Audio Internal Compression?

Michael Zacherl mubar04 at blauwurf.at
Sat Jul 7 20:28:14 CEST 2012

I just returned from rehearsal and I checked with Eric's MBP (v 6,2).
A 200Hz sine wave, played from Max/MSP, the clipping becomes audible
at an amplification of about 1.02 via the built-in output.
My v 3,1 MBP only has a 16/20/24-bit resolution setting for this output.

First, there's absolutely no audible difference between between our MBPs,
second, there's no audible difference between the 24- and 32-bit settings on Eric's newer MBP.

Since the maximum volume setting on our MBPs is very loud we used the tape-input of my Mackie 1642-vlz,
and used its headphone outs to reduce the volume to a comfortable yet loud level.
We tried back and forth, even using skipping levels via a Preset object in the Patch, same behaviour.
There might be something, since this is different hardware, but this wouldn't be revealed with this simple setup,
and really didn't give us the impression of the effects you mentioned and others describe on the sc-user-list.
Maybe even Eric's MBP is too old?
Michael.

noise chasers: http://blauwurf.at
http://soundcloud.com/noiseconformist