a death in my silicon family..

deeplfo EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jan 20 19:33:31 CET 2012

Same here, been using Dell desktops for my main music machine for years now, but have been getting new ones every few years :-).

For music I wouldn't go crazy and get the "gaming" boxes, but I would suggest to pick the higher up in the models with the better performing components.

Mohsen

________________________________
 From: Peter Korsten <peter at severity-one.com>
To: Music-bar <music-bar at lists.music-bar.org>
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: a death in my silicon family..

Op 20-1-2012 17:58, Tony Scharf schreef:

> I've looked at Dell and HP...but is that really all there is out there
> in the PC landscape now that doesnt just outright suck?

Nothing wrong with Dell. I've got a Core i7 860 at work and it's a snappy and practically silent machine. Styling, well, let's not go there, but plenty of USB on the front, card reader, the lot.

Obviously, I build my machines by hand and never have a problem (except that it takes time and that it's a bugger). But then I make sure I only get quality components, like Supermicro for the mainboard. There's a mostly silent cooler the size of Staten Island on the CPU, and the case is a very nice minimalist design (Fractal Design, quite inexpensive too).

- Peter