Modular tomfoolery

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jan 19 15:41:23 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 1:39 AM, tom adam <tom.adam at thebigear.be> wrote:
> Op 19-1-2012 7:13, Andrew Tarpinian schreef:
>
>> Yea it sucks. The euro format is smaller than I thought and does feel a
>> bit fragile. Like the knobs on my Andore are all a bit wiggly - I don't mind
>> the trade off for these things being relatively inexpensive, but everything
>> feels a bit homemade.

This varies widely from one manufacturer to the other.  My Tip Top
Audio stuff feels very solid, as does the Bubblesound and Livewire
stuff.  Make noise likes to use looser pots, so they can feel a little
cheap (but actually arent).  The same goes for Harvestman (though
Scott will use off the wall and cheap components because he likes
their tendency toward instability in some cases).  Intellijel, while
making some great stuff, is definitely some of the cheapest feeling.

Also, it is a well known fact that Doepfer cables suck.  Really.  They
wont last you very long I can promise you that.  I buy mine from
http://www.adinfinitummusic.com/, and they are great!  I think I
bought $100 worth of cables when I bought my modular, and I haven't
had any of theirs go bad.  He even included a pack of coupling
adapters which have really come in handy when I ran out of long enough
cables.  I am about to make another order as soon as he gets his 12
inch cables back in stock.

Tony