Mic shure KSM32

K9 Kai Niggemann EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jan 11 19:52:49 CET 2012

On 11.01.2012, at 17:53, Joost Schuttelaar wrote:

> Mics hardly ever sound good - you need a great surrounding to make it sound good :)

hardly, true. But Neumanns for example. They sound sooo much different! I've used a few and they sound really really good. unlike any other mic I've used. But then most other mics i've used are about 10 times less expensive.

The thing about mics is, there is a certain quality in the up to 500 EUR range that's already truely awesome. NTK, Shure, Sennheisers, AKG, all make good mics that sound fine. then there is a big gap up until about 1500 EUR (where you could get three of those previously mentioned mics). Then suddenly new things start to appear in the recordings that were inaudible before. hard to put into words, but the Neumanns I've used sounded so warm, so present and so natural, esp. with voice.

I've also had the pleasure to record location sound for a movie with a Neumann stereo M/S mic. wow. the cleanest and widest sound I've ever recorded myself...!

There is a really cool place in my city where I can rent that mic and I sometimes do for field recordings.

It's too expensive to justify buying it, though... (2500? 3500? and that's EUR, too..;)

Kai