Mic shure KSM32

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jan 11 17:41:52 CET 2012

Hey, Romain!

Op 11-1-2012 16:41, Romain / rXg schreef:
> Hello guys,
> During the New year eve I talked with Gert about many stuff :
> mastering, mixing ... etc  but also about gears :P

Yeah, man, that was an awesome evening. Talking gear is one of
the coolest things on music-bar parties :-)

> One of those discussion was about  the shure KSM32, I referred to
> this dude ( see link below), who used to be sound engineer
> for King Kringsom albums etc ...
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w6y8gNWEhY&list=UU5ZJRccUMA0Dw5AxOSAgbFA&index=1&feature=plcp
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w6y8gNWEhY&list=UU5ZJRccUMA0Dw5AxOSAgbFA&index=1&feature=plcp>
> What do you think compare to the very known Rode NT1 ? ( cost :
> 169 euro) , Shure KSM32 is  579 euro ...
> Do you think I will really hear the difference for the difference
> of price ?  also I think that the Pre-Amp has a big impact on the
> quality ...
> Right now with my Rode Nt1  I got a Presonus  TubePre (88 Euro)
> Which kind of Pre-amp will you advice to combine it with a KSM32 ?
> I must say that I'm using the rode nt1 combined with the tubepre
> since couples of years ... I m quite satisfied   but I discovered
> that the mic is a bit too sensitive on high freq ...
> Also I wonder about different stuff about stereo recording let
> say over head for drums. .. Is it common to use different
> cardioid condenser mics with different Pre-amp, or do you need to
> use the same materials for the Pair ? ( Same mic + same Pre Amp) ...

I would always use 2 identical mikes for overhead, otherwise you
might get a strange/annoying stereo image. Or only use 1 mike,
but then you've got mono sound - which isn't always bad for OH.

> If you think the KSM32 is not a good idea for the price, which
> Mic will you advice for acoustic guitar, voices, drums overhead,
> udu etc ?
> I wish you all a nice day ...

I have never used the KSM32, but I'm shure (hehe) it's a great
mike. If you will hear the difference; well that's another story.
It also depends what you do with your recordings afterwards and
how good your room acoustics are. If you use loads of EQ,
compression, delay, chorus etc afterwards, who cares if it's a
Neumann, and you probably won't hear the difference.

I think with mikes it's the same as with many other tools people
use to make art. Like guitars, synthesizers, and even mastering.
It's about your creativity - what you do with them...

Let's take mastering. It is my considered opinion, that people
make way too much of a thing about mastering. Of course, if you
compare a bad mix without mastering to a great mix with pro
mastering, there will be a big difference.
But the difference between my mastering and Bob Katz's work? I am
betting almost no-one will hear the difference. That's not
because I'm as good as Bob Katz, but it's because most people
will not be able to hear the difference between good enough and
awesome - especially when they listen to mp3's while chatting
with friends or travelling to work on the train with an ipod.

So, what about mikes? I think there are almost no really bad
mikes above a certain price point of, let's say, 150 euros. There
will be differences, of course, but for recording real
instruments and vocals - where you will almost certainly use
compression and EQ - I will bet you that the difference between
most good mikes above 150 euros will be negligible, as far as
your audience is concerned. Again, it's all about what you do
with the recordings.

What is important, though, is your application. If you record
voice-overs, a more expensive micriophone is definitely a big
plus, although I have recorded great stuff with a 50 euro usb
mike and a simple flash recorder. Same for acoustic guitar
without other instruments. You want to hear that beautiful
sparkling sound? Go for a great mike. But don't forget: you will
need good room acoustics as well, plus the right distance, plus
the right polar pattern, compression, EQ, reverb, etc.

So, in conclusion: get a good mike that's not 25 euros - but
think of your application - and then it's all about your
creativity and who is going to listen to it - and where.

hope this helps :-)

--
Gert