Live question - making a mono track...

punkdISCO EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jan 7 16:53:31 CET 2012

Hi ToAd

> How does one make a mono track out of a stereo track in Live?

You have a few choices.  Here are 2:

1) Utilities -> Mono.  This adds a mono plugin so keeps the original stereo
WAV (or whatever) intact

2) Edit the underlying WAV and make it Mono using, say, SoundForge.  Btw,
you can setup a default external editor so when you highlight the clip, the
clip then has an Edit option which will bring up SoundForge (in my case).

I tend to do option 2 as if I have something that I want to be mono, the
chances are, it really should be mono in the first place eg. A dry vocal
track.  Live has the annoying habit of making any frozen tracks stereo so I
will often make them mono again in SoundForge following a freeze.

Also, my making the underlying file mono, it are halving the processing
power required for that track..

> BTW I must admit that Live rocks.

Yep!

Paul