reviving an MPC 2000?

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jan 5 21:13:36 CET 2012

On Jan 2, 2012, at 6:25 PM, "punkdISCO" <forums at punkdisco.co.uk> wrote:

> I hear what you are saying about "soul".  For me, soul in musical gear is completely nontangible but rather, relates to how you connect with something..

Bob Moog says we can communicate with insturments with just our mind.

>> If you really want soul get a 60 :)
>> Or use the vintage sample feature in maschine ;p
>
> Interestingly, I read a techy article from NI about implementing the "Vintage" feature in Maschine (models of the SP1200 and MPC60).  As I would have expected, the SP1200 with its 12bit samples and analogue filter, does indeed affect the sound and, NI confirmed this.  However, NI also went on to say how little the MPC60 flavoured the sound.  Being filter-less, this did not really surprise me but I still found it interesting to read NI's findings were that in reality, the MPC60 sound does not actually exist.  Rather, the "MPC60 sound" is more a case of the legendary "MPC60 soul" and this is what people then incorrectly attribute to a "MPC60 sound".  The soul is still completely important as it is the soul of an instrument that inspires greatness.
>
> But in the case of the MPC60, beauty is in the eye of the listener..

So if they found out that there was no "sound" how did they justify adding the feature? I do hear the difference in maschine, samples sound compressed, you hear noise artifacting.

Also Akai has vintage mode in that new one for 60 and 3000 :P