Music Class

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jan 5 16:40:16 CET 2012

On Jan 5, 2012, at 1:02 AM, deeplfo <deeplfo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I may have mentioned this in a previous post, but I am slated to teach a kids after school program class on "making music with your computer".  Since schools are chuck full of Macs, I am going to base the class around GarageBand.  Kids will be from grades 3 to 6, one hour a week, for about 9 weeks.  I have some good ideas for the class material.  Basically I want the kids to be able to get a nice little introduction to music technology, with some tangible end results, notably creating and sharing some music.
>
> As you lot are a good wise bunch here, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has ever done anything like this, to get some tips and pointers.  Or chime in if you have any thoughts or suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
> Mohsen

One thing that might be cool to get them going in the beginning - make some basic elements of tracks, drum loops, baselines etc... and let groups picks some of these that they can then arrange into a track. That way they can make something right away that will sound good and it will be fun for them. I think initially fun is more important that straight learning.

Also a more advanced thing (common in many forums) is give them all the same bits of noisy sounds, like environment sounds maybe, and have them build a track from that.

Though depends on how old they are :) you may want to have the whole 9 weeks to work their way up to 1 track (that they can take home on a shinny cd, wait what's a cd?)