BBC: �art Over

The Dong dong at f2s.com
Mon Feb 20 23:04:28 CET 2012

On 20/02/2012 21:05, Peter Korsten wrote:
> I think that you're 50 going on 15, and still haven't quite decided what
> you'd like to do when you grow up. :)

I kind-of started this part of the thread (again, please, no applause)
and I'm with Gert 100%; there's no point arguing about whether work is
right or wrong, it is what work is perceived to be that is wrong, the
very boundary of what counts as useful labour, or whatever.

The way we are told and taught is that work is ONLY going begging for a
job by applying to someone else to use us. OK, maybe there was a little
bit of your education that mentioned creation of a business, or being
self employed, but it was probably just in passing.

What really annoys me is that much of the population who do 'work' in
this fashion (they are _employees_, which is a nice way of saying you
are someone else's slave, or if not a slave, you are working in great
part to benefit another, not yourself) cannot fathom that it is possible
to do _exactly_ what you like if you don't like your job, and that _all_
the protections are there to protect you to become your own boss or to
be self-employed or a lone trader.

Is it greedy to want to benefit ones self more than (what amounts to) a
stranger who may or may not be good to work for?

Brief little story:

My son got his first job.
Didn't like it much, he said his boss was a a**hole.
Common complaint that.
But as time went on, it turns out it wasn't just his boss, it was the
cooperative that was corrupt.
His wage slips were always a mess of unexplained negative adjustments he
never understood, nor did I to tell you the truth.
When his department received their bonus, he was excluded without
explanation no matter how much he complained (half a months wage was
withheld).
Getting through to head office took a very long time indeed, if it ever
got past the recorded messages.
Turns out, he left, but that's not the end of the story.
8 months later and he gets a letter from a debt collection agency
chasing him for over £100! He's due them zilch. In fact they are due him
a lot more than that in his book. I've advised no response to these crooks.
His girlfriend also worked for this company.
They ripped her off too, only paid half her wage.
2 more of my sons friends were also treated to similar treatment, with
one being underpaid and another having claims being passed on to a debt
collection agency!
This company is treating our kids like shit in their early working life,
just for a little extra profit, then they are collecting 'bad' debts
into little bundles and selling them off to small, naive DCA's.

The cooperative group are CROOKS!

Anyway, my point is that the definition of work isn't just being on the
employed list. You can be working full time and have no income, or be an
artist in business and have no drawings, yet claim Tax credits, which
means you are protected until or if your business makes enough to
support you etc.

Everything is in flux.
Everyone goes through phases where they just can't cope, or want to do
something different.
All I'm saying is things ARE NOT what they appear to be on paper or in
the media at all.
You can do what you want, believe it or not.
You are pretty much free (to say NO when someone tries to force
something on you)
Even if someone chooses NOT to work, as such, I believe they should be
respected. Even by those who choose to work.

Pinch of salt too.
Everything is in flux, remember?
Hey.
I do work, I'll have you know ;)