Re: BBC: Let’s Kill the Internet and Start Over

Marc Nostromo [M-.-n] marc.nostromo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 17:16:36 CET 2012

While I do agree with the view that I don't wanna see any changes of the
internet on a personal level, I do think that the usage of its basic system
in ANY networking situation has become extremely worrying.

A lot of our basic infrastructure is ran through it and it has become
increasingly difficult to "guarantee" it's security. People regularly
report having access to video conference system, sewage recycling plants,
companies internal network etc...

There are now extremely powerful distro containing all tools for
penetration testing - like backtrack - allowing you to learn the trade
using high level tools that makes security holes easier to spot and
exploit. If you know just a bit of linux, you can become a potential hacker
quite easily. Imho a stupid scenario like die hard IV's is actually not
that far fetched and I'd say it's just a matter of time before a really
serious thread will pop up.

I recently read Kingpin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingpin) and, on top
of being a real fun read, it's kind of an eye opener on how easy it is to
grab data anywhere.

I'm not at all saying that our internet should be controlled - I froze my
ass in Berlin in the anti acta protest - but for me things aren't so easily
clear cut at the moment.

/M