small, light but good synth for live needed

Gert van Santen g.vansanten at chello.nl
Sun Feb 19 13:44:15 CET 2012

Hi, Paul,

Op 19-2-2012 13:13, punkdISCO schreef:
> Morning, Gert..
>
>> For several reasons, I can't take my Virus Polar/Indigo.
>
> Shame as I imagine the the mini-Virus would be perfect for what you need..

True. Thing is, it's quite heavy, plus it doesn't fit in the very
nice and lightweight flightcase I want to bring with me (about 1
cm too deep!  Grrmblll....).

>> I'm thinking Akai Miniak, because it's good, cheap and has everything else
>> seem to want.
>
> It looks/sounds nice.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65oUHBiz1v8
>
> http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may10/articles/akaiminiak.htm

Checked both links. Very nice. Plus 3 mod wheels, nice for live
:-) And only €295 at Thomann. I will receive some money from Wave
World CD sales, which will be around the same amount, so not bad :-)

> Did you want it to be USB powered? (the Akai does not have USB).  I imagine
> for a gigging keyboard, powering via USB has a small advantage but, not the
> end of the (Wave)world if not..

USB powered is not important. I won't be bringing a laptop
anyway. And there is an editot out there which I could use with
MIDI. Just have to use a MIDI interface and 2 extra cables.
I will also bring an iPad and the IO dock (with midi), so with
the miniak I can control the iPad synths as well (Animoog ;-)

> I'll keep thinking..
>
> It's a lovely day in London!!

Rainy here. Plus I have 2 deadlines tomorrow. It's all well with
the crisis and stuff, but I seem to get all the work that is left
in the world....

Cheers,

--
Gert