Mountain Lion

Paul Maddox yo at VacoLoco.net
Fri Feb 17 20:56:38 CET 2012

Peter,

> Interesting. Every single other person I know that has an iPhone is lyrical about it. So what makes it rub you the wrong way?

Let's start with the basics;

When I'm on the phone, remember it is a PHONE, I don't want to be deafened by the sound of an email, facebook or text alert sound!!!!

I want to be able to change the text alert sound, BASIC functionality on 99% of mobile phones for the last 10 years.

The email client GAH!!! Sorry but it's terrible, I have several email addresses and I want to choose which I use to respond on. And Why o Why can't I use the filters? I can set them up on gmail and on mail (OSX mail) so why not my phone mail?

It's sluggish, 8 times out of 10 when I press the top button to lock it, I can pop it in it's holder and in my pocket before it goes "click" with the lock sound.

It crashes on me - sometimes when I pop it in airplane mode, say over night, and then turn it on in the morning, I tap "settings" and I get a blank settings page, no way of taking it out of airplane mode, reboot needed.

To me, these are basic simple usage problems that apple have, in the past, avoided.. the sound during a phone call is such a stupid and irritating thing to miss out. I truly believe apple are beginning to drop the ball in terms of quality of their software.

Battery life is "ok", no better than my old wildfire.

What I like,
The camera is really good quality
The screen is gorgeous.

Will I be buying an iphone again? Nope, back to android for me.

> And as for a nice operating system, there's always Windows 7. My impression is that it is slightly less stable than XP (I don't remember ever getting a BSOD with XP, whilst I've had a couple with 7, though usually whilst gaming and perhaps it's a hardware issue), but it's rather nice to use.

Windows 7, agreed not good.
Windows Vista is actually pretty good, what I've seen and used of it, but I wouldn't buy it :)

> Developing for it, now that's a different issue. I built a small demonstration program today, where a Java process detaches itself from the Unix shell by invoking fork() via JNA, but I have no idea how such a thing could be done with Windows. Windows development has always struck me as just a bit too complex to get your head around.

see, you lost me there with "fork" :)

Paul

VacoLoco
http://VacoLoco.net