Apple Airplay

Marc Nostromo [M-.-n] marc.nostromo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 22:19:16 CET 2012

Just to balance the happy apple tone, I have a small old eeepc running
spotify hooked to my stereo and I walk there to select my music. Works
flawlessly :)

On 31 Dec 2012 21:42, "Kim Johnsson" <johnssonkim at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi!

More AppleTV-related than AirPlay, but still: I just ripped my DVD movie
and music video collection onto hard drive as ISO files (600+ discs), and
with a jailbroken AppleTV running FireCore aTV Flash I can just select the
disc I want to watch and press Play and that's it. Apart from a few
exceptions, works like a charm: the files play just like the original
DVD's. Once it's that easy, there's really no excuse not to watch Peter
Gabriel / Ultravox / OMD / Goldfrapp / Depeche Mode / Björk etc live every
evening :-). And while ripping, I found a lot of stuff I didn't even
remember I had. Have to get a BlueRay drive and do the same for my BR
discs. After that I'll stop buying movies on physical media.

I have an AirPort Express in the kitchen, but it keeps dropping in and out
of the network irritatingly often. Any ideas?

I also share the same physical iTunes library (on file level) between my
basement PC (my iTunes server) and my main machine, and that keeps
everything nicely up to date and in sync. For some reason, however, the Mac
Mini in my living room can't connect to the same iTunes library as the
PC's, it complains about files being locked or insufficient privileges or
some such. I'll have to look into that.

But all in all, the Apple stuff has really earned its place in the Johnsson
household as far as everyday digital entertainment is concerned.

As a side note, for the last five years, I haven't had any sort of live TV
reception. There's an antenna on the roof, but the antenna and TV aren't
connected. However, I can watch live TV (not all local channels, though) on
my iPad, and just AirPlay it to the AppleTV and then watch it on the big
screen. I'm currently on the lookout for a Mac software which does the same
thing, so I can free the iPad, as it can't stream in the background.

Cheers,

Kim