iPad 4

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sun Dec 30 00:04:59 CET 2012

Op 29-12-2012 00:42, Andrew Tarpinian schreef:

> On Jays point - I got the big Retina one. I really liked the mini but it seemed, for me, that the larger size with all the bells and whistles made more sense since I am using for it for many different situations.

I foresee a lot of Super Monkey Ball, which he plays both on my Galaxy
SIII (although not so much lately, ever since I fixed his computer and
got him a decent screen) and his "homework helper's" iPad 2. :-)

> Your situation seems to be more complicated Peter, to my eyes the only thing that the mini really shares with the iPad 2 is it's processor (and resolution.) Everything else on the mini looks like it's upgraded to be more inline with the high end retina model, plus it's cheaper and available in higher capacities.
>
> http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/compare

Ah, that's a good pointer. I'm surprised at the relatively low
resolution of the 2 and the mini, but perhaps I'm spoiled. And I think
that the screen of the 2 looks absolutely fab anyway.

> On the other hand a larger screen may be better for a young child, especially since the touch points will be larger - I'm pretty sure all the apps currently running on the mini are not mini specific, so they are running at the same resolution as an iPad 2 but just smaller. If this is true it means the touch points will be smaller on the mini, so for a child it may be frustrating since they may be less exact in their tapping. I know there was talk about if developers will be able to have a mini specific modified layout of an app within a universal app, but I have not looked into it yet and have not played with a mini, so I could be wrong.

Given that the vast majority of apps is written for the 2 and its
resolution, I'm not so concerned about this. He also has no problems
snatching my SIII from me and playing all sorts of games, and that's an
even smaller screen. Fine motors skills is not a problem for him (except
handwriting, but let's not broach that painful subject). It's gross
motor skills that he has some more problems with, and hopefully he'll
never use those on his iPad...

> Another thing is it depends on how mobile he is with it, will he take it all over the house, to bed, out of the house, in the car? The bigger one may be too heavy for him to take everywhere. But on the other hand if you want him NOT to take it all over the place and keep his time with it in a more controlled setting the larger one may be better. Honestly maybe the best way would be to go to a store and see which one he likes?

It will be absolutely forbidden to take the thing out of the house, and
we know we will obey (for now at least ;-) ). He's also not getting a
3G/4G version, only wifi. I have to see how he could get the thing to
his grandparents' house, where he does his homework, but that's really a
minor concern.

All in all, combining what you said and what Jay said, I think that the
mini is the best choice for him. Again, many thanks for the advice!

- Peter