iPad 4

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sat Dec 29 23:40:09 CET 2012

Op 29-12-2012 08:34, Jay Vaughan schreef:

> Don't get him an iPad, Peter .. the Nexus7 is a far better user experience all around.  There are kids apps being written for Android too - I've been following this scene a bit and there are definitely more and more "simultaneous multi-platform" releases going on ..

Fair enough, but iOS is pretty much a given. I can't stand Apple and
their "everybody is a moron" approach, and Jean-Luc knows his way around
both iOS and Android, but from my Galaxy SIII I get a bit of an idea of
what's available for Android, and it's just not as much as for iOS.
Moreover, both his early intervention therapist/head of special needs at
his school, and the learning support assistant who helps him with his
homework 8 hours a week, use an iPad. Choosing Android means that the
burden of hunting software will come down on me, and that's a burden
that I could do without.

Also, the other day I was talking to a colleague who has an autistic
child (although of five years old, not almost ten) who first got an
Android tablet because it was cheaper, but later got an iPad, precisely
because of the software issue.

> As for the geometry, lets just put it this way: my two year old hacks the hell out of all of the devices, and it doesn't matter a damn that the iPad is bigger than the Nexus7.  In fact, the Nexus7 gets more love precisely because its lighter, easier to tote.
>
> If you have to go iOS for some Peter-K reason, check out the mini.  Honestly, hands get fatigued holding the iPad-normal-size for longer than 20 minutes.  Steve Jobs was wrong about this.

That's probably the deciding factor. Even my SIII starts to feel heavy
after a while, and given that the mini is just over half the weight of a
10" one, it's probably best for him to have a lighter one.

Thanks for the advice!

- Peter