Minibrute!

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 04:04:05 CET 2012

So I got a minibrute.  Basically, a friend of mine had a preorder from
NovaMusik but couldn't afford it.  Being both of us have good relationships
going years back with that retailer, they let me take his spot.  Being Nova
is only just a 3 hour drive form here, free UPS ground turns into overnight
and I got it this afternoon.

Initial thoughts:  This thing is awesome:  Simple, straight forward to use
but with a wide parameter space.  You can find the filters sweet spot in
about 5 minutes.  Some people have been already calling it the SH101 of our
time and Ill agree with that assessment.  It *feels* like I am working with
an old vintage beast, but with out the scratchy pots, intermittent outputs,
or years of dust, beer and cigarette smoke built up on the keys.

About the only negative so far was that when I received it, I was initially
scared to death by a rattling sound in unit.  Apparently, one of the
weights glued under the bottom of the keys to counter weight the spring
action had been poorly glued and fallen off and then into the keybed.  I
took a gamble and popped the unit open to see if I could get it out.  It
was fortunately in a place where it couldn't have gotten into the area with
the circuit boards and was easily extracted.

One note about disassembly:  It was very easy.  I wonder if Arturia
designed it with the expectation that modders will get in there.  If anyone
wants, Ill pop it back open and take some pictures of its guts.

Right now, I have its arpeggiator pulsing in the background of a drone from
the modular.  I've got my piston honda oscillator feeding the aux audio
input and the arpeggiator is stepping the Doepfer DarkTime sequencer which
in turn is hitting the filter CV.  Did I mention this thing was awesome?
 Ill record it if I can stop twiddling with it long enough to hit record.

Tony

NoiseTheorem:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NoiseTheorem
SoundCloud:http://soundcloud.com/noisetheorem