best distro for xfce?

moron moron at industrial.org
Fri Dec 28 21:50:03 CET 2012

Howdy folks.  Been having the life crushed out of me the last 24 hours trying
to get a new machine setup with a suitable live + dev environment.

I am done with KDE (fuck you in the ass kmail2, Akonadi, Nepomuk) and Ubuntu
Unity appears to only be suitable for the most base of nettop usage.  Gnome is
pretty much in the same boat as KDE.

So that leaves xfce as the only realistic option.

Complicating things is that I need a decent email client that supports maildir
format and I need to be able to run KDevelop.  I am also hoping to avoid as
many hassles as possible doing things like playing MP3s or watching videos.

I have tried setting up Fedora 17 with xfce but getting things like MP3 codecs
installed is less than ideal and I have concerns over stability.  Has anyone
here used Fedora for a period of time?

I have tried Ubuntu 12.10 + xfc4 and had everything working great within xfce
except after the first logout the desktop became totally messed up (workspaces
missing, not able get focus on windows, unresponsive aps, etc.)  Unity also
started acting unstable which is not cool with a brand spanking new install.
Looks like I am going to have to do another install. . .

Has anyone here tried Xubuntu or another xfce focused distro?  How about Linux
Mint?

Cheers

--
:: Will code PHP for food!