iPad synths & sequencers, how does it fit in the workflow?

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Tue Dec 18 19:01:00 CET 2012

> I have a bunch of them, and I should probably just stop wasting my money...

I'm in the same camp, but I have gotten my moneys' worth, to be honest.  There have been moments where things just really click in the mix because of the sound of, for example, Sunrizer, and thats a neat thing.  You really have to force yourself to use the apps you buy, though - unlike most of the other digital synths in my room, currently threatening to bash my face in if I move my head the wrong way as I type this message, the iApp Synth collection that I have accrued is somehow stashed away in some dark pocket of a recently used workbag, and I have to crunch through all the iApp crap to get them started/booted/working/etc.  Not to mention wiring everything up, after I've already been using the iPad for development purposes on other things, is also sort of a drag.

In comparison, the MS20/Monowave/SH101/Virus/&etc. just need to be turned on.  Oh, lightly dusted off too I suppose, but you get the point.  The only thing I don't like about the iApp digital synth world is all the fiddling and futzing to get it working.

Once there, though, its a phenomenal amount of power.

> They all sound great, but I have not gotten around to actually using any of
> them in a composition. None of them have excited enough for me to run out
> and get a MIDI interface for my iPad so I could do so.

MIDI interface + USB adapter, don't forget.  Yeah, the fiddling to get things set up part is really a drag.  I do love, however, when I had everything pre-wired in a neat little bag, toted it to a jam, unzipped, turned on, and oila .. mini digital studio, formidable!

;
--
Jay Vaughan