Best router?

komatos komatos at comcast.net
Fri Apr 27 19:45:02 CEST 2012

My WRT-54G failed after about 10 years. Kept getting connection issues and had to reboot it and the cable modem on a regular basis. Also, the WRT-54G doesn't do wireless-N connections. Up until it failed a couple of years ago, it was very reliable. Didn't have the best range though. Back in 2007 when I was redoing the hardwood floor on the first floor of my bungalow and had to relocate the computer to the second floor bedroom and the router/cable modem to the basement I was only getting 50-75% signal strength instead of 80-100%.

My current router (that replaced the WRT-54G a year and a half or two ago) is the LinkSys WGR-614v10. Great model and reliability. Only $35 normally at Best Buy, does A/B/G and the lower N speeds. Never have to reboot it or the cable modem (at least not more than once or twice a year). I was so happy with it I've set it up with at least 3 or 4 other family members and clients I do computer troubleshooting for.

--komatos/wasted