sysex messages

tom adam tom.adam at thebigear.be
Thu Apr 12 10:42:01 CEST 2012

Back in Belgium now and started playing the JD-990. It came expanded
with the vintage card and it is indeed a nice sounding synth. Although
it has a very digital sound, but nice to use next to a modular ;-)

I've started some basic work on the arduino, reading encoders, and some
push buttons and led's.
I can send sysex now too, but have a hard time to combine the sysex with
incoming midi messages.
I already have a ton of issues that I need to solve.
So some questions:
I plan on using an SPI for the encoders and leds/push buttons. Is this
the normal way how it's done? I checked the midibox sequencer on how
it's done there and will probably copy the hardware. What clock speed
should one read the pots/push buttons?
Do I use an interrupt on the midi incoming signals?

Anyway, seems like it's going to take some time before it's working. So
in the mean time I plan on using one of these behringer "knob" boxes.
They seem to handle sysex. Anyone tried this?

Glad to be home, first trip to China that was more of a struggle than
"fun". I hope I don't have to travel again for some months...

So any post I might have missed that I really should check out the last
couple of weeks?

Cheers,
ToAd