The thing I hate about modular is...

K9 Kai Niggemann canine at waf80.de
Tue Apr 10 00:50:45 CEST 2012

On 09.04.2012, at 20:20, Andrew Tarpinian wrote:

> In my short time in the modular world I have learned many things. One is that there is a new thread on Muff's every week who's subject is along the lines of "Does Doepfer really suck?"

If you know that this thread crops up every week, you are spending too much time reading muff and not enough time with your modules…! ;)

> Then with-in the thread there are lots of posts of people complaining that there is a thread like this every week :) I think Doepfer is awesome and it is said you would be considered a stuck up prick if you did not have any Doepfer in your rig at all. All the excitement in euro tends to be around the smaller manufactures who are doing more off the wall stuff and pushing euro into new territories, a lot of these concepts are inspired by the Buchla/Serge/West Coast side of things. Doepfer on the other hand has a ton of stuff but by and large they are more traditional style modules. You will find tons of post in the threads about how much people love their Doepfer modules and the certain ones that are irreplaceable.

But there are quite a number of Doepfer modules that claim to be Buchla inspired and many I have no idea what they do, they seem to be as out there as any.

> The Dixie is nice because it has a huge range and is small. Another idea is a BubbleSound uLFO, you can do a lot with that. I would love a Livewire AFG but they are huge and not in production (RIP.) I just saw one pop up on Muff's though the other day. I want to get one of the Malekko Wiard Osc though I think. Or just say fuck it and get a Cwejman or MacBeth :) Another rule on Muff's is that if you don't have at least one Maths then technically you don't acually have a modular. There is also that Double Andore that tony and I have - very good bang for size/buck - double envelopes/lfo's/vca's/mind fuck. I'm going to get a few Doepfer envelopes, maybe the quad, and the intellijel uVCA or hexVCA.

I have a real Polivoks, so I guess I could pass up that one until I have more space that needs to be filled..;)

I'll be in Berlin in May where I will hit Schneider's Laden and check out some Oscillators and compare them.

> If i was you I would keep an eye on Muff's B/S/T and when something interesting pops up just grab it. You can always resell if you don't like.

oh that eye seems to only look when things are gone already…. besides most stuff is from the US, with shipping, many of the items end up pretty much as high as Schneider's without sales tax -- so I'd rather just buy in Berlin...

> Goike http://goike.com/blog is prototyping an inexpensive DIY modular flatpack design that I might go for when it comes out.

They have some nice cases. But wood i heavy, no?

There is a guy on German ebay selling Doepfer P9 cases for 325 (Doepfer's price is 460 and both of these are EUR) with 10 patch cables and a few blind plates. Just got my case from him and it's shiny and new, original Doepfer board in there and all.

Kai