More Filter Overdrive

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sun Apr 8 23:49:01 CEST 2012

Op 8-4-2012 23:31, Andrew Robinson schreef:

>> More likely on a Fairlight. I'm not getting one of those either. :)
>
> Not even the iPad version?

That would mean getting an iPad first. :)

Look... I really like subtractive synthesis. The EX5 is a thing of
beauty - a bit like the Venus of Milo, with some bits missing or working
very well, but a lovely piece of kit nonetheless. But I don't 'get' it.

The AN1x, on the other hand, is much more limited, but despite its
rather Spartan interface, so much easier to get a certain desired sound.
You take a sound, press a few buttons, turn a few knobs, and before you
know it you're a balding Czech.

So if I will indeed win the lottery, and if after the highly
irresponsible car and a good amount of model trains (I recently got a
locomotive of a Walloon -made in China- brand that is in a class of its
own, both in terms of detailing and price) there's still some money
left, I'd likely get some more analogue (modelling) synths.

But that has to do with the interface, the immediacy, the actual turning
of a knob, instead of swiping your finger or (oh horror) moving a mouse.
I like to do things with my eyes closed - not likely to work too well on
such a visual interface like the iPad.

But hey, things change, and so do opinions. Within the foreseeable
future, I should be getting my grubby little hands on an Android phone,
and who knows what will happen then.

- Peter