Track critique invitation - Voynich - Alocrom

Chris Strellis EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 21 11:58:34 CEST 2011

Hi Gert,

I realised I didn't reply to your email. Sorry.

> 1. I like the themes and sounds and the overall idea.

Phew.  That's a good start!

> 2. I don't like the intro. It makes the track feel boring and slow.

Please form and orderly queue now ;)

OK, I've attempted to address this but not by shortening the intro but
by adding more interest with yet another arp.

> 3. Perhaps you might think about losing some of those loooong
> notes, and trade them in for short release stuff.

See above.

> 4. The overall sound is good, although some sounds could use a
> bit of (extra) EQ to give them more space in the mix and/or
> prevent too much pressure from them.

Absolutely right along with Martin's "claustrophobic" comment.

I've now plumped and fluffed it up and squished it about. I hope it's
not too overdone now :-O

> Cool that you're on the album again :-)

Yes, absolutely, I'm flattered.  I'm still waiting to be found out that
I'm a fraud as I seem to be running with some of the EM "big boys" here.

Thanks Gert and indeed everyone for your very helpful comments.  As you
know sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees when working on a
track.

OK this should be better. I added a few more embellishments, notably
ride cymbal in the middle 16 "beautiful" section and crash cymbal in a
transition place and the end.

http://www.voynich.co.uk/mp3/Voynich_Alocrom_V1.00_mastered.mp3

http://goo.gl/xQZqg

Cheers