Track critique invitation - Voynich - Alocrom

Chris Strellis EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Sep 20 14:09:02 CEST 2011

Hi Andy,

> I like this a lot, you've got a lot of very nice changes in there, and
> of course a lot of beautiful synth sounds.

Thanks man!

> Composition-wise, it's spot on. The intro takes a while to get to the
> bit where the track really kicks off at 1:19 though, perhaps take out
> 16 bars of intro, and extend the really beautiful bit around the 3:00
> mark by 16 bars?

I have a habit of making long intros.  I think I want to ease the listener gently into the track before cranking up the pace. The intro is already half of what it used to be! I'll see if a little time surgery can be carried out.

> Mix wise, it's sounding great if a busy at times.

Yeah, busy it is!

> If it was me, I'd be
> tempted back off the bass a few db on the first line we hear from the
> point where the toms start, to help make a bit more room later on in
> the track

That's an idea. I did add any EQ to the voices line so some cut would be good.

> and maybe have more highs on the arp line around 4:20,
> which is a bit quiet for my taste.

Yep. Good advice.

> As for the 80s feel... the synths are perfect, but the drums don't
> really shout "80s" to me, 80s drums were all about bombast, gated
> reverb, the 808, and making the best of short crunchy samples. I
> suggest doing an A/B listening test against some Sisters of Mercy
> tracks ("colours" or "jihad" from the sisterhood album), and not being
> afraid of clichés!

Maybe I've tired of listening to 80s OTT drum machine tracks but I know what you are on about completely!

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

Chris