iPad Moog

James Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Sep 16 19:35:22 CEST 2011

> Much of the charm sits between the ears of whoever is playing.

Ding! Ding! Ding!  And we have a winner...

I think this is the bulk of it - even though I also think the new Moogs
are crap.  I've often wondered what would happen if I made a nice MIDI out
interface on my Mini and had some of the purists over and substituted
something like Omnisphere without telling them if they would notice.
Perhaps some, but I bet I could fool many of them - probably even myself
depending on the patch.  There is clearly something psychological and
self-deceptive about it.  I find the 303 case particularly true in this
regard.  I've never understood the massive fanaticism around it.  Like
Apple fan boys or much of the American Right - completely delusional and
disconnected from reality.  I've had friends over with their 303's and as
far as I can tell, my x0xb0x does just fine.  I just don't get the appeal.
On the other hand, a buddy with some modular stuff, a Virus, and some
other newer Vas had never sat in front of a Mini before.  I hooked him up
with mine and he was floored by just a single osc voice.  There is
something there but I have no idea what it is.  It's probably all in my
head.

James R. Coplin