WTF!?

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Sep 9 14:42:38 CEST 2011

2011/9/9 Jay Vaughan <jayv at synth.net>

> > But yeah, it's scary if you're not used to it. And if you *are* used to
> it, it's even scarier, given Jay's reaction to my message back then.
>
> I don't remember what that was, remind me ..

There was a 4.5 to 5.0 tremor in Malta some 5 to 7 years ago, and if I
remember correctly, the first thing I did was send an e-mail to the Music
Bar with 'WTF?' as the subject line. You, um, kinda suggested in no
uncertain terms that I should prepare a survival kit and such. I think the
memories of California were still a bit raw at the time.

There was a pretty bad earthquake in this area in 1693:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1693_Sicily_earthquake

But all in all, even though we're at the very edge of the  African tectonic
plate, which is slowly moving underneath the Eurasian plate (but the crust
itself is moving over it), and despite a whole swathe of volcanoes and fault
lines a more 100 km to the north, there's little seismic activity here.
Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is, of course, a different issue
altogether.

- Peter