valve amp?

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 21 17:34:31 CEST 2011

On 21/10/11 16:43, Peter Korsten wrote:
> I know of someone who put little discs on top of CDs when playing them, because
> according to him, it improved the sound. Mind, this was someone who worked at
> the Eindhoven University of Technology.

Many CD players will interpolate the occasional sample if it cannot be fully
reconstructed from the redundant bitstream.

By increasing the mass of the disk and adjusting its modes of acoustic
resonance, it is possible to modify the bit error rate of pretty much any CD
player, up or possibly down if the disk axle mounting or other components,
including the disk itself, are imperfect.

Furthermore, acoustic resonance through the disk finds its way throughout the
adjacent circuitry, including to the clock distribution system, where jitter
affects the accuracy of D-A conversion. At a lower level, audio-frequency
piezo-electric potentials may develop in such components as crystals and
capacitors, thereby modifying the reconstructed analogue signal either directly
or via clock edge modulation.

Tony (HB)