How to explain an analog state variable filter ..

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 14 20:46:09 CEST 2011

Hi Peter

On 14.10.2011 4:45, Peter Korsten wrote:
>> Look, what you're saying is totally true in the enterprise world. When
>> it comes to the embedded world, things look quite differently. I haven't
>> heard of any real-time Java implementations, at least none that are
>> truly out in the field. Or to give another server / desktop example:
>> High-performance math or signal processing libraries. Until you exploit
>> vector instructions, you'll always lose massively. For those
>> applications, you're back to C++.
>
> True, but correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say those are relatively
> straightforward applications. Data in, run some computations, data out.
> You probably don't have to worry if halfway through your TCP/IP
> connection suddenly goes AWOL, or try to prevent hack attacks.

Depends on your definition of "straight forward". In terms of software
architecture, there's not much meat. In terms of math, algorithmic
complexity or understanding of computer architecture, these can be
extremely deep.

> something like Source or CryEngine in it either. But for an awful lot of
> applications, Java's performance is good enough, and its added
> advantages make it compelling to use.

Fully agreed.

> Oh, and as for embedded systems, would you consider a blu-ray player
> embedded? :) Actually, Java runs on an awful lot of systems. Real-time
> it may not be, but embedded, I'd say it certainly is.

True. My professional deformation makes me think of process automation
systems or power electronics controller when I say embedded systems...

> The biggest problem of C++ is its incredibly confusing syntax. And

It doesn't really confuse me even though software development isn't my
main duty at work... (and a good deal of that has been C#, not C++).

> C, for all its faults, does not have that problem. Once you understand
> pointers, you know all you need to know about C. But C++, no, you'll
> need to understand pure virtual functions and multiple inheritance, not

Is that so complicated? Not really. You can confuse people with nested
template constructions, but the stuff above is rather simple.

> Anyway, my point is that C++ is a horrible language, even though it
> doesn't suck at everything. :)

It works for me, that's all I can say. But I don't feel particularly
attached to any language...

Martin