M@ and The Dweez'

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Oct 10 23:14:38 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM, The Dong <dong at f2s.com> wrote:

> Any recordings in high quality? (256mp3 or higher)
> An A/B of, say, e.g. a miked 2204 Marshall 50W head pushed with 4x12
> celestion against the model in the box.

I don't know if there are AB recordings out there.  I certainly don't
have any and since I don't use it as a guitar processor, I couldnt
tell you.

> I'd be the first to say that once in amongst a mix, many of these models
> would pass easily, but it's all how it feels and plays; the synergy (a word
> probably used every day on this list)

I think that's one of its big selling points, and why it is being
adopted by a lot of high profile players.  Ill tell you that with
playing synths through it, its got a very lively sound.  I don't
actually like a lot of FX boxes, and have a tendency to flip them back
on the used market rather quickly.  The Axe has been in my studio a
year, and I still find new tricks with it.  Its a tweakers FX
box...even though it seems that only Guitarists are aware of it.

 > As soon as I try and get into anything synergistic these days, I'm told to
> turn it down, sharpish. Anyone else feel the same? :(

Yes.  This is why I have my studio in the basement and suggested my
wife move her office up to the second floor.

> I'm not dis'sing the Fractal Box, I bet it's gorgeous and months of
> twiddling fun. There's no way I can call it affordable at present, though ;)

Cant argue that one.  Ive gotten pretty lucky lately, particularly
relative to the rest of the US economy.  I am keeping my fingers
crossed things continue to be positive.

Tony