So long Steve ..

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 7 14:20:42 CEST 2011

On 07/10/11 13:12, Jay Vaughan wrote:

>> Well, Dong, I appreciate the debunking, and hell, there's a lot of hype about their products. IMHO (and I wouldn't want to argue this scientifically, it's just my subjective view), the integration of GUI elements, also with hardware, is an art that no-one even at Apple would have known existed, if it weren't for a very small team, with one person driving them to an extreme.
>
> Here's my list of what Steve Jobs got right, before everyone else:
>
> 1. Unix on the Desktop.
> 2. File/Folders no longer relevant paradigm.
> 3. Get the music in the listeners pocket, rock it from there.
>
> Everything else: trivial.

Here's my list:

1. Fonts
2. Built an OS based on the ideas of Raskin et al
3. Marketing as belief system
4. Design (thanks to several key people)
5. Touch as interface (I would like to know the story behind that)

And of these, the last is by far the most profound, but it's clear that even
with SJ running the show, they would never take that to its conclusion.

No. I don't know what I'm talking about. Steve was the only guy left on planet
Earth who actually had his shit together ;-)

Tony (HB)