Japanese music

Dave S EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 7 00:46:28 CEST 2011

On 05/10/11 22:14, Mikael Hansson wrote:
> Is there anything interesting besides YMO and their various solo/side-projects?

Susumu Yokota - especially "Sakura", "Grinning Cat" and "The Boy and the
Tree", don't think I'll ever get tired of these, simply awesome and
beautiful, and "Sakura" is on another level altogether as far as I'm
concerned.

Sunao Inami - not so well known, but he is a big user of Waldorf synths,
and is a friend of Paul Maddox (and perhaps some others on here).  His
album "Repeater" often finds it's way onto my CD player.

Nobukazu Takemura - "Hoshi No Koe" is well worth a listen, nice
bleepy-bloopy sound to it. I haven't listened to it in a little while,
but will find the time for it in the next few days now I've remembered
about it.

DJ Scotch Egg is pretty fucked up chiptune / comedy / insanity /
hardcore if you like that kind of thing. (Though he's UK based now
AFAIK, but of Japanese origin.)

Maruosa - heavy, just very, VERY heavy! A bit much for me to be honest,
but I saw him play a gig once and it was incredible, if a little scary!
If you like really extreme music, you owe it to yourself to check him
out, he's rather off the scale.

Anyway, those are my recs.

Enjoy!

~Dave