Smithsonian "Kontrol Surface" KS-1974

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Nov 29 23:08:48 CET 2011

On Nov 29, 2011, at 4:06 PM, Tony Scharf <noisetheorem at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Andrew Tarpinian <evildead at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> And the Android market still continues to be shit, and google doesn't really care, they are just betting on market saturation.
>>

> I would like to know how you back up this claim.  I have never had a
> problem with the android market from a user standpoint.
>
> It could use more music apps, granted, but I have never had any
> problem finding any type of app I was looking for.

The android market is not even close to being as profitable for developers as the iOS store. This leads to developers not wanting to make an investment in that ecosystem. That in turn leads to a boring market. If all you ever want to put on your device are utilities and the standard "free" types of software like Yelp or Facebook then you are probably ok. But if you want to partake in the cutting edge of mobile software like games, music, art, and productivity you will find android lacking. Even if you say "well I don't want to play games on my phone," you still have to look at the bigger picture. You have to look at what is healthy for the market. You need devs keeping things alive by creating and pushing the technology. In a market without incentives that doesn't happen.

http://m.techcrunch.com/2011/04/15/john-carmack-ios-still-better-than-android-for-mobile-game-development/