Hard drives

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Nov 14 19:42:31 CET 2011

Op 14-11-2011 14:45, The Dong schreef:

> On 12/11/2011 10:16, Jay Vaughan wrote:
>
>> I think though, that the PC must die. Its too high-power. When we're
>> all running multi-core machines in our pocket with no moving parts
>> whatsoever, rechargable by mere sunlight, it will be the end of it.
>> Imagine if every PC just suddenly turned off, because iPad4 got a
>> backpanel? I hope I see it happen, personally.
>
> The high power PC will not die, because the gaming, video and
> computational fraternities will always demand the fastest techs.
> If a breakthrough in low power processors should emerge (which is
> gradually the case, I admit) then my above statement becomes nullified,
> but playing games, or coding, or even typing, or some such other things
> on a pad will never suit everyone.

Yep, agreed. Mobile devices are kinda cool, up to a point. They don't
have the super-smooth pointing device I want (try doing an FPS with your
index finger, huh), they don't have the keyboards and keypads I want,
they have a poky little screen (which for me most definitely is an
issue) and they don't have the awesomeness of having considerably more
computing power than those 3/4th circular pieces of furniture that they
used to design the aeroplanes we fly today.

Now my employer is offering a 3G/wi-fi solution "for the family". 7.2
Mbit/s downlink (which is decent enough), 12 GB data limit (a bit small,
but enough if you're not a heavy user) and "up to three devices".

Right. At home, we have three PCs, a BD player, one or two smartphones
and sometimes a netbook connected to the network, wirelessly or
otherwise. That's, um, seven devices. And we don't have a NAS yet.

Perhaps I'm a-typical, but I *hate* laptops (except their keyboards, I'm
typing this on a full-size scissor switch keyboard) and can't imagine
having to bend my neck to use it, or to have to carry it about everywhere.

Think about it. Cars haven't fundamentally changed in the last century.
Why would all of a sudden the end be nigh for personal computers, which
we've been using fundamentally unchanged for the last 35 years?

- Peter