6 to 8 channel audio player w/ amps for art installations?

Michael Zacherl. EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Nov 1 02:52:32 CET 2011

On 31.10.2011, at 23:13 , Peter Korsten wrote:

> Op 31-10-2011 22:59, Michael Zacherl. schreef:
>
>> hehe,  exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'm negotiating a permanent installation, buying a laptop is not really an option.
>> I think a DVD-player must do it.  ;-)
>
> What's not entirely clear to me is whether you need 5.1 surround, or 6 to 8 discrete channels. With 5.1 surround, you get 3 discrete channels at best. The ones at the back don't necessarily have the full range, and the subwoofer just takes the low frequencies of everything.

well it's a mixed thing:  in our current installation it's 2x 3 channels, so the DVD is fine (with a previously encoded AC3 sound file)

Thinking of a more versatile solution for future projects  a 6-channel audio player would be good to have.

> If 5.1 is what you're after, how about one of those cheap-ish sets like from Logitech to get 5.1 out of your computer?

no, we need to drive a bunch of transducers.

m.

--
hear the colours of noise: http://blauwurf.at
http://soundcloud.com/noiseconformist