Vista? Hello or goodbye?

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 13 18:33:34 CEST 2011

> It's all a question about market. After, what, 15 years, Linux is still
> a niche when it comes to the desktop.

Well, I don't see that as being particularly true around these parts of Europe, where a switch to Linux has been happening, behind the scenes, in a lot of interesting places.  Windows still comes along, but for the most part I believe that a truly effective Windows operation puts it in a VM, and that is almost always going to be something like a big, fat, Linux box.

Music for linux really comes with ease.  Just pick a Music- oriented distribution.  I've settled on Ubuntu Studio personally, its fabulous to have my full Firewire audio bus fully working with Linux, heck even Youtube in Firefox can be routed over the same bus, Ardour is big and fat and one of the reasons I have a multi-core machine with gigs of RAM, in fact.  MIDI is superlative if you investigate all options.

If you want onboard stuff, just get as far as setting up seq24+zynaddsubfx+hydrogen+pbsynth+puredata-alsa before you give up!

;
--
Jay Vaughan