Bad Clusters (Was Re: Vista? Hello or goodbye?)

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue May 10 17:16:53 CEST 2011

> Just out of interest, why the full format? Because resizing partitions
> on a drive with bad clusters is unlikely to work and/or may have
> unpredictable results?

No, so that the drives bad cluster table can be properly updated, and so you can discover any other new ones during the format as well.  I meant low-level format, btw, not this new-fangled "just updates the partition table to 0" thing ..

> Or it's a full reinstall with WinXP and Linux I think, because I don't
> think I can necessarily guarantee that I can reinstall Vista on here,
> and I'm really not prepared to splash out on Win7.  (Seriously, I only
> stopped using Win2k and switched to XP for music making about two
> years ago - I am in no hurry for Win7, but might give Vista a try for
> a bit longer if I can manage to keep it.)

Way out of my league, I only use a Winblows product in a VM if I'm really, really, really sure there isn't some other way to do what I need to do. ;)
;
--
Jay Vaughan