Non-Commercial Public Broadcasting Is Under Attack

Bill Fox EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Mar 31 23:20:20 CEST 2011

Dear Friends,

This is for US citizens who don't want their voice taken away. For my
non- US friends, please forgive the bandwidth even though you may be
indirectly affected.

Three amendments have been introduced in the U.S. Senate with the goal
of eliminating all funding for public broadcasting. These amendments to
the Small Business Act Reauthorization (S. 493) were filed by Senator
Tom Coburn (OK), Senator Jim DeMint (SC) and Senator Rand Paul (KY) in
an attempt to put the Senate’s position on public broadcasting on the
record. We cannot allow these amendments to attract support and threaten
funding vital to your local public radio and television stations.

Votes on these amendments could occur as early as this week.

Pennsylvanians, please call Sen. Bob Casey (202) 224-6324 and Sen.
Patrick J. Toomey (202) 224-4254 today. If you don't live in
Pennsylvania, then please visit
<http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm> to
look up who your Senators are.

When talking with your Senators or leaving a message with their staff,
make these points:

* I understand that S. 493, the Small Business Act Reauthorization, has
three amendments filed that would eliminate funding for public broadcasting.
* I urge the Senator to oppose these amendments and any other attempts
to eliminate funding for public broadcasting.
* The majority of public broadcasting funding goes to local public radio
and television stations. This essential public service is too important
to eliminate.
* My local non-commercial radio station has less than 23% of its
schedule dedicated to news. More than 77% of the schedule is dedicated
to local music and public affairs programming and depends upon federal
funding. The station is vital to the economic health of the Lehigh
Valley. I'm sure that your local non-commercial radio station is very
similar in form and function. You'll have to fill in the details if
different from the ones quoted here. Local non-commercial TV stations
also contribute to the well being of the area served.

What else can you do?

* Click the following link to send an email to your Senators and
Representatives urging them to support funding for public broadcasting.
<http://capwiz.com/170ma/dbq/officials>
* Click the following link to invite your friends and family to join 170
Million Americans for Public Broadcasting.
<http://www.170millionamericans.org/epostcard>

Yours is the most important voice in the debate in Washington about the
future of public broadcasting. Thank you for standing up to defend this
vital public service.

Bill