I've finished my first album!

Dave S EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 28 00:29:32 CEST 2011

Indeed.  For an ostensibly "dubstep" album, I reckon it's pretty
un-dubstep in a lot of ways - but then I'm pretty un-dubstep myself,
heh!

As it happens, I didn't really set out to write in any particular
style - this just seems to be the direction I've ended up going in.  I
imagine this being music that people will want to listen to at home,
perhaps late at night after coming back from a night out, unwinding in
a low-lit room with a few friends before hitting the sack.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about that, but it was the
vision I had in my head when putting it together.  Somewhere between
dubstep and downtempo, but with a bit of leftfield and my
(inescapable) dub and reggae influences thrown in too.

I guess I usually start out at 140 BPM and see where I end up - if
only because that tempo is the average tempo of the other music I'm
hoping that people making mixes will mix my tunes with.  I'm sure I'll
get bored with 140 BPM (or 70 BPM if I'm doing half-tempo stuff)
sooner or later, but for now, I'm still enjoying it.

To be perfectly honest, I don't like the direction much dubstep has
gone in these days - the stuff which gets referred to as "brostep"
(US) / "bruvstep" (UK), or to quote a good friend of mine and pretty
well known UK dubstep producer "caveman style, the stuff which sounds
like garage meets death metal", or something like that.

I'm really not into this "let's make it as brutal as possible and rip
people's heads off" kinda thing - it just doesn't fit me, but I guess
that's what's come to be known as "dubstep", and it's a shame, because
the genre has so much more to offer than just that one facet.  This is
one of the reasons I like Echodub so much, because everyone on there
is taking the dubstep sound in directions other than where mainstream
(if it could ever be called that) dubstep is going.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, so I'll stop there!

But I'm glad you liked it Mr. Dong - thanks for letting me know!

Cheers,

~Dave