Alone but Together ...

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 21 14:23:31 CET 2011

On 21/03/11 12:18, Romain / rXg wrote:
> But maybe people on the music bar have some experiences ??

Oh yeah.

> Also I heard and read than it s better that producers contact you than you
> trying to contact them ...

I have nothing personally against the producers I have worked with - I learnt a
lot from watching them at work (even if not so much listening to their work).

Just DON'T do it. It's all part of the machinery of investment that has evolved
to devalue the artist and prevent their work fvrom finding its own way
naturally. It's all about creating PRODUCT.

Let me give you a simple piece of advice: You are here for the music, NOT the
other way around.

If you do good music, IT will find a way to enable you to continue making it.
That may (hopefully) include making a living from it. But remember, an artist is
for the work, NOT the other f***ing way around.

This is how you tell a BStter from the real deal.

> This  mean  you should do  already  all your small own business, concerts,
> merchandising, auto-production etc ...

At first, yes. And these are far more valuable than selling the music itself, so
these should be the last thing you contractually sign over to someone else. If
you negotiate now, you are weak, if you do it yourself, you get yourself into a
stronger position. If you do it really well, then someone good will offer to
work for you.

> Being known and respected in your area , and they may approach you with a good
> deal and help you to get the next step for the music quality

Just forget entirely about all that and get on the f*cking road!

> But now I m focusing more to make an album of mp3 and sell them on the net (cdbaby),
> then if it s possible, I would like  to find some musicians and make some
> concerts ( it s better for promoting),

True, it's good to sell CDs at concerts, but I can see time passing, time which
is an investment in your future music, not so much the music you have now or
soon will.

> and i expect to work and just work with the musicians to get the same result or
> maybe a better one...

You don't need to worry about similarity. Again, this is backwards, and has been
for decades: The music promotes the theatre of performance, the performance is
NOT to promote the sales of the music.

Art is never a finished article. A composition may be finished, but a
performance is always true to its unique moment in time, and that is much better
in front of an audience.

> Instead I get jams or some weird improvisations not needed or  talking stuff
> with cool people

Tell them to f*ck off.

> , I think I must pay musicians to get exactly what I need from them instead of
> getting blablabla of just jamming around ... ( it s what zappa was doing after all)

Getting to a position to pay is really difficult. Good people will value good
music, and if you are completely focussed and serious, then you will find
musicians who respect you. Some days of the week they will be available. Getting
them all in the same gig on the same night is really really dfficult, but a core
of VERY good musicians who understand your vibe, is the way.

> The thing is and it s a reality when money comes into the deal, things start to
> be more true ( people and yourself think more)..

Yes. Money is cool. Just make sure you get to that point, with nothing signed.
That means hard work. Hard work and music are, beyond the coolest thing you can
do for money on this planet.

> Everything have to be calculate cause It s an investment ... and like in general
>   when people invest in something they don t want to lose their money but want a
> good feedback in return ( as producers) ;)

Tell the producers to f*ck off.

> Make an album ( this almost done but without mastering yet)
> Sell the mp3 ( i don t think I want to make cds if I don t make concerts)
> Try to find musicians for concerts
> Make concerts
> Sell more stuff ( cd , tea shirt, tea, ) ...
> make some profits and reinvesting in the project if it works ... etc

Sounds *really* tedious, because EVERY single f***ing musician I know is doing
exactly the same thing. Same old tedious song: Make mp3, sell mp3, play to sell.

In the end, you pay to sell.

? get it ?

> It looks possible but also it s not a easy challenge ...

That's why wimps won't do it. Tell them to...

well, you get my drift :-)

Tony (HB)