Ideas for hacking a wireless router

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Mar 17 12:04:03 CET 2011

On 16/03/2011 23:20, Peter Korsten wrote:
> So, many moons ago I bought this wireless router, which one bad day was
> hit by lightning, and had the WAN port and one LAN port fried. (The ADSL
> modem was completely fried, as was one Ethernet port of the motherboard.)

If all else fails; if the wireless modem card is a plug-in type and not
mobo integrated, it could be sold or reused in a laptop...

Overall, unless you are highly talented at hacking these boxes, or there
is a community hacking it, or an individual who has released details,
there's not much beyond the usual, bar a dedicated dns server, vpn or
possible dlna server or suchlike. Possibilities may exist for exposing a
serial port (which could have a lot of uses) or using the mini-pci for
something other than a wireless modem (hard drive)..?

The processing power just isn't there for anything esoteric, but it
could offload cpu from your main router by running a few dedicated
services quite easily too. (I do this with a few routers/modem)