Ideas for hacking a wireless router

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Mar 17 09:25:32 CET 2011

On 16/03/2011 23:20, Peter Korsten wrote:
> So, many moons ago I bought this wireless router, which one bad day was
> hit by lightning, and had the WAN port and one LAN port fried. (The ADSL
> modem was completely fried, as was one Ethernet port of the motherboard.)

I've read DMSO cures everything! (but am sceptical) ;)

> It's a KCorp KLS-575, and whilst this is not a particularly well-known
> router, it has one striking advantage: it runs Linux and you can
> download the source code (at least, the GPL-ed bits) from the
> manufacturer. Glancing at the Makefile for the kernel, the CPU appears
> to be some sort of ARM (without MMU).

Although companies release code to abide by the GPL, they seldom release
complete, compilable code (some custom code may be omitted)

The Fujitsu-Siemens AP 600RP is similar hardware too.
If the specs I found are right, it only has 1MB Flash and 8MB RAM, which
is not great (my old, hacked, WRT54G has 4MB / 32MB) and severely limits
what can be done.

> Other than building an wireless internet radio, does anybody have any
> cool ideas of what you could do with this thing?

Wireless Extender or bridge? (boring)

Though not AR7 based for Routertech firmware, do skip read through this
thread for maybe some idea of what you are dealing with:

http://www.routertech.org/viewtopic.php?t=611

Yours, without vexation, malice or frivolity,
Someone.

:)