Japan Quake

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Mar 11 17:30:18 CET 2011

> That was 23 kilotons. Now the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated was
> almost 2000 times the power of that (Tsar Bomba), but still you'd need a
> *lot* of nukes to get an effect anywhere close to what we've seen in Japan.

You would need approximately 5 TsarBomba's to produce the energy in this quake.

> What *is* food for conspiracy theories is that this is already the third
> or fourth earthquake this week.

We do not live on a still planet.  Whats shocking is that we seem to only remember that long after we've forgotten it, and been so suddenly reminded, now and then.

>> Does anyone know how tall the wave will be by the time it hits the west
>> coast of the Americas? I'm sure it's calculable.
>
> It's not a very easy calculation, though. It depends largely on the
> shape and inclination of the land.

Actually I think the models are suprisingly accurate these days .. a lot of computing power goes into Pacific swells prediction after these events.  I know that there is big, big iron modelling - and using input from real events - these wave motions.

Impressive that they were able to give up to a minute alert by SMS to everyone, also, of the quake event!

;
--
Jay Vaughan