New track

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Mar 8 21:16:04 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM, punkdISCO <forums at punkdisco.co.uk> wrote:

> There is defo a modular element that like the make soundscapes, like this
> track for example.  It's kind of the reason why I have avoided a modular as
> I don't want to get pulled into the endless tinkering of the sound (I
> imagine it can get very addictive!).  It is  also the reason why I love
> pre-set synths and synths with limited editing abilities: by their very
> nature, they are SUPER productive.

Actually, I am starting to think that is somewhat of a myth.   On my
preset synths, I create cool sounds all the time.  In fact, I spend a
lot of time just creating sounds and saying 'oh thats cool.  Ill come
back and use that some time later'.  With the modular, there is no
'later'.  If I dont use that right now, and record what I am doing as
I go, Its gone forever as soon as I pull the patch cords.  You dont
really even have to pull the patch chords either - just wait a bit,
and the system will just naturally drift into something else
(sometimes better, sometimes not).  You can record the synth pulsating
away for a long time and hear the subtle shifts as they happen.  Its
quite an organic and pleasing process.

This recording pressure is something that I, personally, really
needed.  Ive done more recording and sound creation in the last month
than probably the last year.  Ive got a few really nice projects
started up in Live that started out as noodles.  I find this very
liberating, actually.

Tony